Disclosure: Softonic may receive a referral fee if you click or buy any of the products featured here.
Our lives have moved indoors and online, especially so after 2020’s curveball. We connect and share with friends and family via social media platforms daily. We excitedly share our everyday triumphs (and some bloopers) with a collage of photo moments that’ll forever be digitalized on the Web.
Fortunately, we have some excellent safe editing tools to ensure that the photos we put out there for the world to enjoy and marvel at also have a hint of our artistic expressions. Adobe Photoshop is a fun and collaborative tool to help us do precisely that.
Don’t be scared to download Photoshop and start experimenting with your photos. If you mess it up, you start again until you’re happy with the result. As easy as that. Let’s take a look at four tips on how you can change your photo background effortlessly.
Removing the background from an image
- Start by uploading your PNG or JPG image that you want to edit
- Sign in to your Adobe Photoshop account
- Select the ‘Auto-Remove Background’ option
- Choose the new color for your background
- Download your edited image
Make your image background transparent
- Click on the photo that you want to edit.
- Select ‘Picture Tools’ > ‘Recolor’ > ‘Set Transparent Color.’
- Click on the color in your image that you want to change to transparent.
- Press CTRL+T
Add a background color
- Choose your color from the ‘Toolbox.”
- Click on the paint bucket icon.
- Select your preferred blending mode
- Choose the tolerance level from 0 to 255
- Click on the area of the image you want to change.
Insert new image on top of a background
- Open the new background image in Photoshop.
- Prepare and open the foreground image you want to drop on top.
- Open Photoshop.
- Upload your background image to the top L corner of Photoshop > press ‘File’> press ‘Open.’
- Upload your foreground image to the top L corner of Photoshop > click ‘File’> click ‘Place embedded.’
- Click and hold your foreground image and drag it to the position you want it on your background picture.
- You can scale the foreground image to get it into proportion. Press and hold ‘Shift’ while you drag one of your inserted image corners until it’s the right size.
- If you’re happy with the results, you can click the ‘Quick Selection Tool.’
- Finish off the foreground image edges with your mouse until a dotted line appears around the image when it’s complete.
- To finish your new image, add a layer mask by selecting this option in the bottom R corner.
Other photo editing apps to try
Although Adobe Photoshop is the most used photo editor for everyday use, there are a few other apps that can provide excellent editing tools. PICmonkey and Pixlr are both free and safe image editors that offer top-notch tools.